Thursday, November 18, 2010

Sourdough bread


The yeast colony is thriving.



Second day after feeding it again.


Mixing the yeast colony (that look now like a sponge) with flour and salt and let is sit to develop the "sourness" that make this bread so yummy. :-)


after kneading cover and let it rest for 2 hours


punch down, fold, cover and let it rest for 1 hour


Time to form a shape (I like this simple one), cover for the last time and let it rise for about an hour.




Brush with sugar water, make a box cuts to help it go up.
place in a 400f preheated oven for 50-60 minutes




The hardest part now is to wait until it cools. lol




4 comments:

  1. how long does this sit for? Are you using a metal bowl?? I was always told not to ferment yeast in a metal bowl it does something to it...so I use plastic or pottery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use plastic and I let it sit for 2 days. I feed it flour every day.
    But in the beginning I mix sugar, flour and a small pinch of yeasts. (help to build the colony).

    ReplyDelete
  3. what is the box cut for?decoration or does it help to bake evenly?? That is too beautiful to eat!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The box cut help to direct the bread to go up while baking.

    ReplyDelete